Sepi



I watched the new Kabir Bhatia movie, Sepi last week. I guess the first one he did, Cinta, set a bar high up to God knows where. So, many people went for this one with expectations up in the sky. So did I.

The movie did have the usual Kabir flavour, the fantastic camera shots & cinematography, the not-all-cause-and-effect-are-given bits, and that comfortable feeling you get when you watch a Kabir Bhatia movie. However (I know, I hate this word too!), I didn't get quite as 'touched' as when I watched Cinta. I cried a river when Shidi's character was left by his wife for another man, and I guess it got worse when he was cradling his daughter to sleep, alone in the darkness of his house. At that time I was comparable only to the Yangtze floods!

For Sepi, I didn't quite feel the sadness and devastation of loneliness. I didn't shed a tear, not even when I realized that Pierre Andre's character had actually died, and he was just walking around as a pigment of his girlfriend's imagination ( I thought that was awfully pathetic). I don't exactly know what went wrong this time. Maybe it's because my personal experience of loneliness far surpasses the feelings felt by each character in the movie, mine was far greater that what they were going through appeared to me as feeble and just a scratch on the surface of real loneliness. Perhaps it's because I've been to that bottomless abyss of darkness and destitution, and I have come out of it not unscathed. Perhaps...

Still, the camera works in this movie did give that sense of being alone and lonely. The shots emphasized that lonely feeling, the angles etc. And I also think that the director did a great job in choosing his cast. Maybe the actress playing Iman should let more emotions flow through her eyes.

How many stars for Sepi? I'm not in the habit of giving stars, so let's just leave it at that.

Comments

Popular Posts