Neighbours

I visited a neighbouring city over the weekend. This would be my second time in 3 years. But I was somewhat determined that this time I would pay more attention to details and sights. The city had a rather cosy, comfortable ambience surrounding it. What I loved most was the architectural diversity of the houses and the shop buildings. Most of the shops or restaurants were placed in well-preserved old colonial buildings, and this made them appear classic as well as cosy. I was mesmerized. For a second I thought this would be a cool place to live in.
Then, I met the locals. I've heard many stories about them from various sources, but it never really hit me as the absolute truth. I seldom encountered warmth or friendliness in most of them, except for a selected few who I assume were exceptions to the norm, perhaps born on another planet or had intergalactic chromosomes. I was shocked. All the beauty of architecture and sophistication of the city melted away with the hostility of its inhabitants. I immediately wanted to go home, where even the newspaper vendors would gladly and patiently show a tourist the way to anywhere when asked. And with a smile, mind you. It is true what people say, that no matter how modern or beautiful a city is, the real beauty comes from the people who live in it. I guess the citizens of this city has become as concrete-hearted as the concrete jungle that surrounds them.
The grass is always greener on the other side...if you're colour blind.

Comments

Ehem... said…
kak ana...
ohh k. ana....
Nazrin Saad said…
hahahahaha...
sya bersetuju sma kak ana tapi ri tu ada jer makcik tnjuk jln kt kitorg g marina bay, xpyh newspaper vendor pn... hehehehe

Popular Posts