Mother and Son


I have recently become a mother to a teenager. I am still trying to let this seep in and settle down somewhere at the bottom of my sanity. Hopefully it will seep and stay there, quiet and dormant for eternity. To tell you the truth, I am scared.

I walked down the "Teenager" road once and it wasn't an easy time for me. I was awkward, plump and prone to OCD. I was also in love with Michael Jackson. I read somewhere that who we love mirrors our own selves, our own personalities and psyche. Go figure!

So, I thought that, for my son's sake, I would be mentally and emotionally prepared to help him through this turbulent time. And the fact that he doesn't actually have a physically-present strong father figure within 5km of himself worries me.

But one thing I would never do is lie to him. I would never tell him that love would always be beautiful and happy. I would tell him that love CAN be beautiful and happy if you worked for it and worked hard to keep it. I would never tell him that money is everything. I would tell him that money CAN be everything if you let it. It can consume your live and your humanity if you let it rule you. In other words, I would choose to use the modals because 'modals', like my English teacher told me once, allows more possibilities, more gray than black or white. And life is full of that.

Comments

Popular Posts