Resolutions


I've never been a resolution person. I feel that it's better not to have resolutions than to have one and then become depressed when it's not fulfilled. Why go through all the agony for something that's not necessary? Instead, I would just decide to do something I would otherwise never be caught dead or mummified doing. And then I would just do it (sounds so Nike-ish, doesn't it?), without canonizing it as a resolution.


That was exactly what I did on the 1st January 2009. I decided to watch Titanic. I've never done anything just because everyone else was doing it. In fact, I wouldn't do it, just to spite other people. When Titanic first came out at the movies, almost all of my friends went ga-ga over it. Almost all of them went to see it, cried themselves rivers and bragged about that when they came back. I could never understand all the commotion about the movie, and my friends despised me more because I didn't want to see it.


So, on New Year's Day, I decided to watch it. True to my word, I wasn't impressed. What saddened me more was the fact that Kate Winslet let herself become an archetypal Mills & Boon's female protagonist. In short, it was a gruelling ordeal for me to sit through the whole 3 hours of the movie (or was it 4?)


The only thing that made me happy was the fact that Kate Winslet has come very, very far from her Titanic days. Very far indeed. You should watch her in The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I think she has become more mature in her acting and in her choices of roles. Who would have thought that half-baked Rose would turn into a larger than life silver screen pesona she is now?


Waiting for Revolutionary Road...

Comments

Popular Posts