Cirque-du-Imbecile?


I attended a function earlier today. It was a charity function, the purpose of which is to highlight the pain and suffering of people in certain parts of the world, and to create awareness of their pain and suffering. I went partly because I had to, and partly because I wanted to witness the various layers of human self-absorbency. I actually felt like I was at a circus, a Cirque-du-Soleil performed by the various forms of Adonis, Narcisscus and surprisingly Dorian Gray (honest to God, there were a few!!) The plight of the suffering people was real enough, the deaths and killings were atrocious. But what was humorously prevalent was the performance of these circus artists, prancing around in a parade of vanity, narcissism and mockery. I seriously doubt that any of them were really interested in the images of the crying women and murdered children. I felt a strange sick feeling in my heart and disappeared on the pretence of going to the ladies'.


Charity is a self-evident word. There's no need to prove it.

Comments

Popular Posts